Young Patriots: One ISU Student recalls being Pro American in 2020.

A person holding a flag

Description automatically generated

Blake Monroe, Senior at ISU recording supporters at a Trump rally at the Vigo County Courthouse in Terre Haute, Indiana. 

By Sophia Wegeng, Student

With the population getting older and the next generation fill the seats of government at the state, federal, and local level, many wonders if the ideals that were previously upheld will be thrown out with the bathwater or grasped onto and carried forward into future policies. With the current civil unrest surrounding the murder of George Floyd, Cops being killed for seemingly no reason, and no answer as to who will win the Presidential Election on November 3rd. For a country that has “United” in their name, division runs rampant. As Abraham Lincoln famously once said, “A country divided against itself cannot stand.”

Indiana State University student, Blake Monroe, has had an interest in politics seemingly since birth. An avid leader of the Vigo County Trump Team, Young Conservatives of Indiana, and Students for Trump he has organized many rallies and events to “Show support for President Trump and make up for the lack of effort for the county’s GOP in supporting the President.” When asked about his motivation and drive, Monroe had this to say. 

This Interview has been edited for length and clarity.

Wegeng:   What made you want to get into politics, and why?        

Monroe: I wanted to stand up for conservative values that otherwise would not have a voice among my generation. American exceptionalism is important, and I feel I need to be an advocate for Pro America. In being for these things, I have been a target for derogatory statements. It simply should not be this way.

Wegeng: When you say “Pro America” what does that look like to you? How is that ideology demonstrated in an individual?

Monroe: The ideology is simple really. I imagine a group of young children selling lemonade for a dollar in a lot of a locally owned business so they can earn money to help the needy. Being an American is something that is unique, and special. Every citizen should be proud of their country. We should always bet on ourselves and do everything in our power to support our nation. Afterall, it was not always an easy road for us as many lives have been sacrificed in order to protect our freedom. Standing for the anthem, and proudly displaying old glory are what people typically associate being patriotic with, and they are not wrong. For me, its those things and more. Holding back tears when ‘ America the Beautiful’ is playing in the background of the local firework show on the forth, sending care packages to troops thousands of miles away from home, or drinking a beer and barbequing on a Saturday afternoon with neighbors and friends- These traditions shape who we are and what we stand for. its simple really, being “Pro America” is simple, and important.

Wegeng: Do you feel the nation has grown largely “Anti America” based on the current state of the nation?

Monroe: I believe that the progressive left has actually made certain groups of people more patriotic than others. Their wild and outlandish tactics are actually working against themselves. We are more patriotic today than we were 4 years ago,

Wegeng: If you were sitting in the oval office right now, what would be the first bill or policy you would change or enact, and why does that particular subject hold so much priority?

Monroe: My first bill would be a Pro Law enforcement bill that would make sure our law enforcement officials are protected. If you assault a law enforcement officer and they end up in the hospital, mandatory 6 months. If they are murdered, 50 years to life depending on severity and intent. Over 200 Law enforcement officers have been killed since March: these numbers are unacceptable. Most have been ambushed and attacked blindly.

Wegeng: Being that most young people obtain their views from their family, friends, and upbringing do you think these factors have shaped your political beliefs? 

Monroe: Without a doubt. I was raised in a blue-collar family. My grandparents were very religious. Most beliefs that I have are generational. The town I grew up in only had about 4,000 people in it, majority being blue collar families. Rural Indiana is very patriotic and tend to be fairly conservative. I grew up fully immersed in this culture and it has given me an will for hard work and trusting the good Lord will provide.

Wegeng: Most studies show that young people are most influenced politically between the ages of 18 and 23. Do you feel as though your views have been influenced, challenged, or modified since the beginning of your college career?

Monroe: Yes, I am actually more conservative now than when I began school. Seeing just how corrupt many college students’ minds have become, I dug my roots deeper so I would not end up like them.

Swegeng2@illinois.edu